Adaptive solar heater and radiative cooler (ASHARC) for all-season thermoregulation, advisor: Dr. Po-Chun Hsu (UChicago)
- Design and fabricate the ultra-wideband transparent conductive electrode with polyethylene film, monolayer graphene and photolithographed gold microgrid.
- Study the fundamental electrochemistry of reversible metal electrodeposition and design the proper electrolyte.
- Use in-depth characterization tools (SEM, TEM, XPS and XRD) to reveal the morphology of the deposited metals on graphene, which deepens the understanding on the electrodeposition and optical tuning.
- Fabricate a electrochromic device that can reversibly tune the solar and mid-IR optical properties with the largest contrast in the field for thermoregulation.
- Design and build an indoor environmental chamber and an outdoor radiative cooling and solar heating power measurement system by PID-controlled Peltier device and home-made thermal insulation.
- Established a rigorous computational approach in finite element method to investigate optical properties of the deposited metal nanostructures.
Related papers: Nature Sustainability, ACS Energy Letters, Nature Communications
 Deep learning assist computational design of vascularized fast charging batteries, advisor: Dr. Po-Chun Hsu (UChicago)
- Theoretically derived the current distribution and tortuosity of the porous electrode by solving the Nernst-Planck equation and using the equivalent circuit theory.
- Building up a finite element model for vascularized battery with massive geometric and electrochemical parameters cluster sweeping.
- Demonstrated the deep-learning-assisted forward prediction and inverse design of the optimal electrode porous structure under different practical scenarios (max capacity, energy density, power density …).
Related papers: Advanced Energy Materials
 A scalable microstructure photonic coating fabricated by roll-to-roll “defects” for daytime sub-ambient passive radiation cooling, with Prof. Jong Eun Ryu (NCSU)
Contribution: Outdoor radiative cooling power measurement and building energy saving numerical simulation.
 Continuous, Nondestructive Detection of Microorganism Growth at Buried Interfaces with Vascularized Polymers, with Prof. Caitlin Howell (U. of Maine)
Contribution: Finite element study on the transport of nutrients in the vascularized channels.
Related papers: ACS Applied Bio Materials
 1D photonic design by needle optimization algorithm of porous dielectrics for radiative cooling, with Elena Shevchenko (Argonne National Lab)
 Variable thermal conductivity induced by the phase-transition of shape memory alloy for temperature-adaptive thermal switch, advisor: Dr. Bolin Liao (UCSB), 07/2018 – 09/2018
 Shape memory alloy for adaptive smart window, advisor: Dr. Bolin Liao (UCSB), 07/2018 – 09/2018
 Air-solid-liquid interfaced by gas diffusion electrode for efficient water-splitting reaction, advisor: Dr. Qu-Quan Wang (WHU), 01/2018 – 10/2018
Related papers: Nanoscale
 Numerical study of solar thermochemical water-splitting reaction enhanced by hydrogen permeation membrane, advisor: Dr. Xuejiao Hu (WHU), 05/2018 – 12/2018
Related papers: arXiv